Tuesday, April 13, 2010
A Change of Perspective
I read an article in Runner's World by Kristin Armstrong (Lance's ex-wife) that was profound. She was talking about the length of her to-do list being a writer and a single mother who like the rest of us tries to balance life and kids. During a workout she was running up a large hill her thoughts were "I have to make it up the hill, I have to finish this workout." Then she thought of friends who were sick or going through difficult times and she thought they would love be able to run up this hill. So she pondered, what would happen if she tweaked her thinking to "get to" instead of "have to". So for the next little while she forced herself to think, "I get to pick up my kids from school", "I get to help the kids with homework", "I get to take care of my family," etc. etc. At first it felt forced and silly then completely changed her attitude toward being more grateful for the opportunities she was blessed with. It in effect opened/re-opened her eyes to the bounty that was in her life. What would happen if I changed my outlook from "have to" to "get to"? How would it help me improve my mothering? How would I improve my church service? How would I improve my discipleship? How would I improve my relationship to Ben? What would happen? It will take some work with my sleep deprived current state but I'll let you know.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
i really really like that idea of changing to 'get to'. that is something i think would help me out personally. good posting!
ReplyDeletei love the pictures of you guys with the blue bonnets! it looks like you're getting around pretty well! glad all went great with the delivery :) can't wait to meet Liam.
Thanks for this. I needed it. What a great thing. I've really been struggling with most everything lately and this is a really good eye-opener.
ReplyDeleteI should seriously read that article - something I know I need to work on. Thanks for the idea and post.
ReplyDelete