Tuesday, November 1, 2011

I didn't want to believe it.

Girls are more drama.  Everyone has told me this but I didn't want to believe it.  I wanted to think our sex was better than that.  I should have listened.  Case in point-I'll use bullets to keep it a simple.

  • 20 week ultrasound revealed I had complete placenta previa.  I was told if it didn't clear up by 28 weeks then I'd have a c-section.  Exercise and lifting anything over 20 lb banned as were a few other things. Told to be extra careful with contractions, even Braxton Hicks and told to call immediately if any bleeding. 
  • 28 week follow-up ultrasound.  Still complete previa.  Plans begin for c-section.  After a few weeks, and a consultation with a perinatalogist decide c-section at 36 weeks is best solution due to my typical early deliveries and high risk for bleeding after 34 weeks.
  • Smith Grandparents buy plane tickets preparing to come help with a Nov. 14th c-section.
  • 33 weeks get 2 steroid shots to boost little girl's lungs to prepare for early birth.  
  • 34 weeks another ultrasound to check her growth...BUT PREVIA IS GONE!!! placenta now 1.1cm away from cervix.  It must be 2 cm away in order to allow a normal delivery.  This is rare, so rare my Dr. wanted to talk to the radiologist and see the image for herself.  (First two ultrasounds read by the head radiologist at the hospital-not likely to be wrong.)  Nov. 14th c-section is OFF.  
  • Nov. 14th now yet another ultrasound to see if the placenta has moved another 1 cm to allow for a normal delivery.  But she is breech and has been the entire time.  She doesn't like to keep her head down for more than a few hours.
  • Door #1  Placenta doesn't move enough, still need c-section but when???? My vote would be for Nov. 28th.  Grandma Shannon will be here to help with kids, Ben can be in hospital to help me. At that point I'd be 38 weeks along, par for the course with my previous births.
  • Door #2 Placenta moves enough, but she's breech.  Hope she'll cooperate and a manual manipulation to turn her works.  Normal delivery when she decides to show up.
  • Door #3 She's breech and won't turn, still need a c-section....my vote would be for see door #1.
  • FYI  I'll be pretty ticked if I have to have a c-section after all this JUST because she's breech.  Really, that would be a cruel trick.  While I've been mentally preparing all along for a c-section to tease me at the end with the placenta moving but still needing a c-section is kind of a dirty trick.  Perhaps it is my fault.  I haven't been praying that the previa will go away.  I've tried to accept this little trial and have been praying that her body will be ready to be born and she won't need a  NICU stay.  If this is how I get an answer to my prayers I I'll be thankful-a c-section won't be the end of the world.  But I don't like being teased by the Lord.  If I do end up with a c-section, maybe I can talk my Dr into cutting out 2 extra inches of stretched out belly skin as a consolation prize.
  • Ben's take on all this?  "Be glad you had 4 boys and not 4 girls!"  Amen!! This is too much drama.

5 comments:

  1. If it comes down to just being breech, I've got some tricks we used with Emma to turn her. One of them may include shining a flashlight "down there" so she'll move towards the light. :-) Ok, we didn't try that, but it was in fact suggested more than once online. Good luck! She'll be amazing no matter how she gets here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My only hope is that you will re-read this post and realize and understand the great pains of your brother. You really can't argue with me now, three girls and no brothers, it was horrific! But we are glad the pregnancy is less risky, and are hoping for the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree that girls bring on the drama and they truly are little princesses! So sorry that you have to suffer so much...you are an amazing woman to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a ride this has been for you! Glad to hear your news ;) Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was hoping to find an update here. I'm so sorry you're already dealing with drama! I can't wait to meet this little princess!!

    ReplyDelete