Monday, February 13, 2012

Confession

HI, my name is Whitney and I'm a runnerd. (I can't take credit for the term runnerd.  A friend's brother coined the term and it fits me.)   I can't watch running events without getting a nervous stomach even when I am not competing. I love to quantify my runs as well. The Olympic Marathon trails were held in Houston in January.  When I heard I really wanted to go, I love watching track/running events and since I won't be going to London to watch the Olympics at least I could watch the trials.  So a good friend and running partner (when we can manage to get on the same baby schedule) decided to go watch.  It was so much fun!!  I loved it.  We got to see the men and women pass each about 8 times.  I was especially excited to see the men run because one of the top contenders, Ryan Hall, is said to have amazing form and I wanted to see him in action.  He did, he is a beautiful runner.  It's like he floats over the pavement, although he was moving much to fast to be floating. Maybe I should compare him to a gazelle, springy, but in a forward momentum way.  Watching them all keep a 5 min/mi pace was astounding.  They really looked like they were just effortlessly running past.  The women were awesome too.  Two of the top contenders, Kara Goucher and Deena Kastor, have had babies in the last year so as one who has come back to run 4 marathons before her baby was 10 months, I was eager to cheer them on.  Although it was a bit depressing when I was happy to just complete the marathons and they were running them in 2.5 hrs but still.  There was a good crowd of fellow runnerds, enough that it was really fun but not too many that we couldn't see. I got several comments about hauling my not even 6 week old but that also goes to prove I'm a runnerd and proud to be!!  Wish I could watch more road races in person.

1 comment:

  1. I bet that was amazing. I am finishing "Born to Run" and it gets me all anxious for the weather to warm up, treadmills just don't cut it. How long do you wait after having a baby to start running again?

    ReplyDelete