Tuesday, March 31, 2009

"I'm good enough, I'm smart enough and doggone it people like me!!"

I've started repeating this to myself frequently throughout my day-perhaps it should become my mantra. Let me explain. About 2 weeks ago I painted my toenails after the kids went to bed. I liked the color-metallic brown/gold. In the morning, I was getting breakfast ready for the kids and Noah said to me, "Mom, what's wrong with your toes? They look rotten." I replied, "I painted them last night, don't you like them?" Noah looked at me and said, "No, your toes look rotten." "What color should I have painted them?" "I like pink, I think you should paint them a nice pink."

About five days later he said, "Mom, you need a haircut." I was hoping this was just because Dad got a haircut the day before.

Then last week when Ben was in Norway Noah repeatedly told me that, "You are the meanest Mom in the whole world and I want another one!" Once I didn't say much in response the first time. The second time he said it in about 15 min. I had had it with his tantrum and replied in my natural mom state, "does that mean I get new kids?" He didn't like that at all and said, "No, you don't get new kids, I'm your kid. I don't want a new mom." He said it again this morning because I wouldn't let him play on the computer before school because yesterday he threw a fit when I told him it was time to turn off the computer. I was in much better spirits and replied, "I'm sorry to hear that you want a new mom, I'd really miss you. You are my favorite kids." He said it again a few minutes later and I replied, "I wish you and dad good luck in your search, but I'll sure miss you!"

This afternoon we were at the park because his friend J from school (yes, the same J who didn't like his picture) had a just for fun High School Musical party. I was playing with Winston and Owen and Noah was running around with his friends. Out of the blue he came up to me and said, "Mom, why are you wearing those clothes today?" I was in levis a had a lavender camisole under a sheer white camp type shirt. OK so I wasn't going to make the cover of J Crew but I didn't look that bad.

I can't win with this kid. Apparently to be his mother I need a thick skin because my fashion sense is not what it should be, and I'm never what he wants.

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough and doggone it people like me!!!

7 comments:

  1. Wow. You have a tough critic in the house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've said it once, and I'll say it again: You don't beat that kid enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lydia must be sensing that your kids are trying to wreck your self-esteem. She insists that we pray every night that you will be happy. So, maybe I should just send her down to you for a week or so. She sure loves her Aunt Whitney!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's sure hard not to take it personally sometimes! 5 yr olds can be brutal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think developing thick skin is probably the best option in this situation! But I think you're good enough, smart enough, and I like you! And I did notice your toes in church, and quite liked the color!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so funny that he would have such a strong opinion on your toe nails paint color! And everything else about your appearance... What do you do but tell him "I'm the one and only mom you'll ever have so... deal with it buddy!" Smart kids can be tough sometimes. If it makes you feel any better these are the things Loic's frequently tells me these days --As most toddlers, he cannot stand being crossed or contradicted in any ways-- "I am not happy to you mama" (meaning I am mad at you). "Don't touch me". "you hurt my ears"(when I am just talking to him in a normal voice but not saying what he wants to hear...)and the ultimate "I want papa, now" Well, papa is at work so you're just gonna have to wait. It all passes but not in a pleasant way...
    You are good enough, smart enough and very much liked ;). Counting the weeks...

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are definitely good enough, smart enough, and doggone it LOTS of people like you!! Besides boys are dumb and have cooties, so who cares what they think ;)

    ReplyDelete