Ok so maybe I shouldn't have a post about my birthday but I'm going to anyway. Sunday I turned 33. It sounds older than I thought it would. But it was a nice celebration. On Friday nigth Ben and I went to see Julie & Julia. I really liked it-Meryl Streep is amazing and so is Stanely Tucci. Amy Adams was ok, they really could have done a movie just about Julia Child and I would have been happy. It made me want to eat really good food afterward and try cooking boeuf burgyone(spelling?). Then I remembered that cooking fancy things that take a while with little kids is not really fun meaning Winston. Noah and Owen can entertain themselves just fine but if I'm in the kitchen Winston thinks he needs to be in my arms and helping. He helps by holding a wooden spoon and trying to stir but usually he hits me in the face because I won't actually let him stir hot food. Anyhow, I was inspired, I bought Julia's cookbook on Amazon and will try a few recipes (raspberry bavarian creme sounded really good, I'll skip the aspics.) It did inspire me to plan a nice birthday dinner to make for myself which I didn't end up making until Tuesday-tonight.
Saturday we bought my presents-a picnic table for our backyard gazebo. Ben really didn't want to buy it but that is what I've wanted for a long time and with our backyard as it is I'll use it. While I was at Lowe's picking it out I decided to use birthday money from my parents to buy a firepit as well. I'll have so much fun this fall/winter with marshmallows and hot dogs. Really, they boys will love it too, boys and fire it always smashing success. As I was shopping for groceries for the week HEB was giving samples of a locally made spicy red pepper hummas. It was really good and I bought myself Happy Birthday Hummus-Ben can't eat it and they boys won't so I got to eat it all by myself. I even splurged and bought blue corn chips to eat it with. I'm sorry to say I rationed it the best I could and it only lasted until this morning. Ben also got me a dozen roses and an ice cream cake from Cold Stone-red velvet and strawberries. Saturday night some good friends invited us over for Sunday dinner. It was nice not to have to cook especially because she made roast and potatoes which I love but rarely make. It was a good birthday.
Tonight I made the birthday dinner-poached salmon, mashed red potatoes, haricot verts and cherries. I was trying to re-create Carrabba's mashed potatoes which are my favorite and I came close. I think my fat content was way too low but they tasted good. The poached salmon was really good, I also made a creamy dill sauce to top it off. I really liked it and so did Owen. It was ok for Ben. It was a 30 min meal but looks a lot more fancy. So I was quite pleased with my birthday overall. Hopefully, next weekend I can get the table weatherproofed and put together. I can't wait to use it.
Happy Birthday Whitney! It sounds like it was great! Your making my mouth water with all the yummy details. Sounds delicious!
ReplyDeleteHAPPY BIRTHDAY Whitney...It sounds like you had a wonderful day full with tons of love and yummy treats. Wish I was turning 33 tomorrow but guess I will have to deal with the fact the every year my age keeps going up and up heheheh
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday. All that food sounds yummy. I've been meaning to see that movie, too. Have fun with the fire pit. We have one and love it.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Whit! Go '76ers! I'm glad you had a fun celebration, great treats and what you wanted. I'm not sure when it'll happen but I really want to see your house. Ben said you got the same Ikea futton we have--so we might invite ourselves for a sleepover ;). Your meal made me miss "diner at the Smiths" which was always yummy no matter what. I love that you love good and and unusual foods. You'll have to tell me if you try to make the Boeuf Bourguignon how it turns out - I've had some good ones but never made it myself.
ReplyDelete