Sunday, August 16, 2009

Potty Time

We've embarqued on my least favorite stage...potty training Owen. I told him the weeks leading up to our move that the new house didn't have diapers so he was going to have to learn to go in the toilet. He seemed excited. So goodbye diapers, hello pull-ups and toilet training. The first week here I didn't stress too much since we were unpacking and it took us a week to get all our stuff here. (One of the pros/cons of moving 1.5 miles away). The second week we worked on the pee-pee part and he did really well. In fact, I dare say he is pee-pee complete. The poop however, still needs reminders and prompts. Some days he has a few accidents others he doesn't. The days he has accidents he poops 3 time a day in about a 4 hour window. What is wrong with his bowels? Who poops 3 times in 4 hours? Once he goes I assume he's good for a while but apparently not. I have figured out a trick, 'going commando'. He LOVES to go commando and thinks its the coolest thing not to wear anything down under and when he's commando he has no accidents-I guess it helps to remind him he can't poop every hour. So if we are home he's commando and will be until he can be a little more consistent. (If you stop by I hope you are not offended.) He has earned all his big prizes-a light saber, a Thomas train, and a Star Wars t-shirt. Now he earns gum when he poops which is as good as the big ticket items and cost significantly less. Too bad I didn't think of it a week ago. Oh well. With any luck we'll be there by next Monday which is his birthday. It would be a dream to get him in underwear by 3.

2 comments:

  1. In answer to your question, Luke poops three times in a four hour window. Maybe it's something genetic with their intestines, but it's sure annoying! Good luck with going #2 on the potty, I hear it's the hardest part of potty training. Maybe I need to move houses to I can try that "this house has no diapers" trick with Lydia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! That sounds just like when I potty trained Loic--He also like to run around bottomless whenever he could and it seemed to help. I never did use pull ups--underwear only. Someone told me they didn't like the feeling of wet underwear and I guess it was true for Lolo... I think Loic had just turned three when we started and it really didn't take long for him to get it. Owen is ahead of the game. Jasmine's turn is coming up in less than two weeks (when the last batch of diapers is out). I think she is ready, she has been asking for months (since she was about 18 months) but I just wasn't ready and decided I didn't want to do them both at the same time... She is not 2 and 1/2 yet but I hear girls are usually quicker, we'll see... You'll have to tell me how you did the night time with Noah. We're not there yet...

    ReplyDelete