Monday, October 18, 2010

Double the Kids, Double the Food Bill

As you may or may not know, from last Thursday to this Thursday we're watching four extra kids while our friends take a long-delayed sojourn together. So instead of having "just" our four rugrats, we now are watching six rugrats and two girls (girls? what are those? you mean girls can be something other than "Mom"?).

To insure they had some "fun" (Whitney's word), we lit a fire in the backyard fire pit to roast hot dogs. In writing this, mixing fire and 8 kids doesn't sound like a good idea, but the only things set ablaze were hot dogs and pine needles, so it all turned out OK.



After a full Saturday of soccer and work (mowed & cleaned up the yard, did mountains of laundry, cleaned the house, etc.), we needed the calming sedative powers of Hollywood to do their thing, and "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" did the trick.



Immediate observations from this whole 8-kid extravaganza:

1. Girls are WAY more helpful than boys. They clean up messes instead of make them!
2. Our boys are more normal than I thought (or our boys and the Geslison boys are equally not normal).
3. Kids from large families must raise each other to some extent. I don't know how parents can give their kids quality 1-1 time; it feels like total crowd control. Maybe it gets easier over time, or maybe you grow into it?
4. Winston's a pet kid...he LOVES Geslison's dog. Too bad for him we'll never have pets (too many allergies).

Now...when do we cash in our week's worth of no-kid time?

2 comments:

  1. Love it! It looks like you handled it with ease - I think the Smiths are definitely an 8 kids family! Girls are way more helpful than boys - I've been telling Andy that for years :) Oh and Winston is welcome to come get his fill of Wicket anytime :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it hasn't been horrific -- at least that you're willing to admit. I had a dream on Sunday that Whitney told me you liked having 8 kids so much that you decided you needed 4 more and were going to start trying immediately. You might categorize that as a nightmare, but I thought it was funny...

    ReplyDelete