Tuesday, February 17, 2009

"Poor, huddled masses..."

If you're like me, you're thinking this quote snippet relates to this (Ellis Island):





You're wrong - it's really is the marketing scheme of this clever establishment:





On Saturday (Valentine's Day), we decided to show the boys how much we loved them by subjecting ourselves to the madness labeled as a nice family atmosphere. In the course of an hour or so, the following transpired:

a) One of the poor, huddled masses tried to steal Whitney's cell phone from the diaper bag (I was sitting RIGHT THERE watching him!).

b) Owen got laid out by some little girl in a rush to get more tickets from a game

c) The ride the boys were on wouldn't work because too many (unsupervised) kids were hanging on it

d) I saw more gold chains and gold-capped teeth than I though possible (message to Hernando Cortes - all the gold you were looking for is stored in people's mouths in Houston, TX)

e) We paid $25+ for the privilege of experiencing the above plus eating pizza that is equivalent to the stuff in the frozen food section of the local grocery store


Needless to say, it was an experience I could live without and one I'm not eager to repeat. The boys, on the other hand, were thrilled and can't wait to do it again. The worst part - the creepy, animatronic characters from the Chuck E Cheese band. I had nightmares for YEARS about those things coming to get me when I was younger. This picture describes it perfectly:


That's it - no more Chuck E Cheese. Ever.

7 comments:

  1. That's pretty funny. But what did you expect when you mix the Humble crowd with cheap entertainment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey whitney!welcome to blog world! can i add youto my 'cool people' on my blog?and about the chuck e cheese, as of the end of January they were still playing christmas music...did they ever switch?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh,my blog is janelleanddustinstubbs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously...I'm sure some 16 yr old staff member goes to the frozen food section at Dollar General to pick up the pizzas for the day at Chuck E Cheese. That stuff is gross!!!! I actually had NEVER been to the joint until right before we moved and the entire family went - for the grandkids sake. I was in shock, awe (not good awe...like the awe you have when you see some girl's green thong hanging out the back of her jeans), disbelief, and once again, shock.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh boys! I can so easily imagine THE night and I am laughing out loud. "Chuck" could definitely be Chucky's BFF plus they share the same name... Scarry stuff. I'm glad the boys had fun though. Makes it all worth it, right!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got a good laugh out of this post. I tried to warn Whitney! :) I am glad the boys loved it! After a similar trip I refused to go. Now, if my kids get to go, it's because their dad takes them. If you don't want to swear that place off completely, you could try going at 10 am. It's still a little dirty, but there are no crowds, and you can go without eating the pizza, just buy tokens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shawn says....

    Ah yes, Chuck E. Cheeses....For a real thrill, carry a portable "black light" next time you visit and then you can play the "where are all the blood stains?" game. This game also can be played at McDonalds playlands and other germ infested establishments...and yes, the large animatronic characters are creepy....and that pizza....yummmmyyy....as in "I like the taste of cardboard with a hint of preserved tomato paste."....Great Post!

    ReplyDelete